We all have our own battles and mine are constantly refining me with fire. We know how we should act when we've been hurt, wronged, mistreated, but it's our nature to be upset and want revenge. As a temple worker I know I can't have a revengeful heart and serve others.
The best thing for me, after lots of tears, is to turn to the scriptures.
Mosiah 3:19: "For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."
I have been reading a book series about the last days and the following scripture came to my mind when Nephi prophesied that in the last days the devil would “rage in the hearts of the children of men, and stir them up to anger against that which is good.” (2 Ne. 28:20.) Good of course, meaning family, or anything else.
I love when the Savior reminds us that he who is without sin may cast the first stone. (See John 8:7.) I of course won't be casting any stones too soon.
But even though we have forgiven our trespasser once, that is not enough, as in Matthew 18:21,22 "Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven." I only hope I don't have to be tested 70 x 7. But I do know that I need to forgive others and I'm trying.
I have been praying for a forgiving heart and I found these words from a song:
What can I give Him
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd,
I would give Him a lamb,
If I were a Wise Man,
I would do my part,—
But what can I give Him,
Give my heart.
(Christina Rossetti.)
I can give him my heaviest burden and greatest weakness which is learning the miracle of forgiveness. I know all things are possible through him.
I pray I will use this miracle to forgive others and give him my everlasting love and gratitude for his tender mercies. I pray I will have a forgiving heart and willing hands to serve others.
And, to anyone I may have hurt in any way, please forgive me!
I love you.
Sheryl
2 comments:
I love you, my sweetheart. Your feelings about forgiveness are really what the Savior wants us to learn and how to act, probably because it is one of the hardest things to learn in this life. But if we dont, then we are allowing the sacrifice the Savior did for us to be in vain. I know that if we truly forgive others and ask for forgivness, then we can feel the healing take place. Thank you for your words and your whole blog. Love ya, Stephen
Great post. Forgiveness can be difficult, but it is always worth it!
Post a Comment